Malta E-ID Windows Middleware Installation Guide
This software is a driver which allows third party programs not owned by Identity Malta Agency to interact with your E-ID Smart card. It also offers the functionality to change PIN numbers and export certificates.
Before you start.
- If you are using your e-ID card for the first time you need the PIN numbers that you received at your registered address when you applied for your ID card. If you do not have these available, you need to personally go to the E-ID Helpdesk office at the ID Cards Unit, Gattard House, Blata l-Bajda. You will be asked to change both Authentication and Signing PINs. You may set different ones or the same PIN for both.
- You need an ISO 7816 Smart Card reader. (Note: for new contactless cards they need to support ISO14443-4)
- Download the installation file by clicking on this installer download link.
- Extract the files to the local computer.
- Navigate to the correct file for the version of Windows (example – [extracted location]\windows\installation_user_x64\ for Windows 64 bit operating systems).
- Double-click on the downloaded file cv_act_scinterface.msi. This will start the installation.
- An installer window pops up which welcomes the user to the Setup Wizard. Click the Next Button. Shortcut ALT+N.
- The next screen is the Licensing Agreement. Read the Agreement. Press up key to accept the license agreement and press Next. Shortcut: Up key then ALT+N.
- Click the Next button to proceed installing in the default location. Shortcut ALT+N
- Click Install to begin installing. Shortcut: ALT+I
- Wait a minute until the software installs.
- Press the Finish Button when ready. ALT+F.
- Reboot the computer.
Using your Card for the first time
- Connect the USB Card reader with your Windows Computer.
- Insert the e-ID card into the card reader.
- If you never used your card before you need to change your PIN.
Changing your PIN
- Open the “cv act interface Utility” application. This typically shows by searching for “interface utility” after you click the start button.
- You are immediately shown the menu to change your PIN. To access this screen at any time select the Change Pin tab, Shortcut ALT+C.
- You are given the choice to change the Authentication PIN, listed under: Authentication Slot: Global PIN;, or Signing PIN, listed under: Qualified Signature Slot: Signature PIN.
- Press TAB, and enter your old PIN number. Be careful, you are only given 3 tries until the PIN is locked.
- Press TAB, and enter your desired new PIN number. It must be composed only of numbers.
- Press TAB, and re-enter your desired new PIN number for verification.
- Select the Change PIN button. Shortcut: TAB then Space.
- You will get a “PIN Successfully Changed” notification.
- Some software packages may require you to export your digital certificates.
- Access the Export Certificates tab. This contains all the certificates available on your card Shortcut: ALT+E
- Press TAB to access the list view. Use the arrow keys to choose your certificate. Choose the certificate titled “Auth” followed by your name and surname. Press the Export button. Shortcut TAB twice, Space.
- Type in the filename for example sign, and Save.
- Repeat steps 2 to 4, this time exporting the certificate titled Sign, followed by your name and surname.
- Follow the instructions given by the software or website that needs to enroll your certificates.
If you lock your PINs you can have them reset at the E-ID helpdesk office, Identity Cards Unit, Gattard House, Blata l-Bajda.
Using Third Party applications.
Log in with your E-ID to government services without using your card instead of your username and password.
- Open https://eid.gov.mt
- Choose the option to login using smart card.
- Your Authentication certificate will show. Press OK.
- You will be asked to enter you authentication PIN number. Enter your Authentication PIN and press OK
- If you PIN number is correct you will be logged in to the portal. A screen with “Welcome” followed by your name and surname will show.