Digitally Signing a document using Microsoft Word
1. Open the document you would like to sign. You have to save it before signing. Shortcut: CTRL+S.
2. Press the following hotkeys: Shortcut: ALT+F, I, P, S. Alternatively follow the next 4 steps. If you use the hotkeys, you can proceed from step 7:
3. Navigate to File from the menu and click the Info tab.
4. Click Protect Document
5. Click Add a digital signature.
6. In the Commitment drop down, you can select “Created and Approved this document”
7. In the next field “Purpose for signing document”, you can leave it blank.
8. Below the fields, there should be a non-editable field. If it is empty, click on Change. Alternatively, make sure that it reads your name, surname and Signature in parenthesis.
9. If you clicked on Change, select the certificate that says your name, surname in parenthesis. Then click on OK.
10. Click on Sign. It may give a warning that your certificate can not be verified. Ignore this warning and click YES.
11. You will be prompted to enter the non-repudiation (signing) PIN. Type in your signing pin number and click OK.
12. You will get a prompt telling you that your signature has been successfully saved with this document.
13. When you save and close this document, you can re-open it to see the signature.
Disclaimer: Identity Malta does not support Microsoft Word and is unable to change the functionality and behavior of the software. Identity Malta is only responsible for providing the tool to integrate with Microsoft Word for creating the digital signature allowing you to choose the digital certificates on your e-ID or e-Residence card and input the PIN.